Stand up NOW for the Paris Climate Agreement!
Donald Trump is preparing to pull the United States out of the Paris Climate Agreement, according to multiple news reports. Trump's decision means that the United States has lost its place as a global leader -- and not just on climate. Every other large country on earth is keeping their Paris promise, or doubling-down.
Clean energy works. Renewables employ more people in this country than coal and oil combined, and 10 million people globally. And after the hottest year on record, when thousands of Americans lost their homes to flooding, we should only be going forward on climate action, not backwards.
Here’s what you can do to MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD:
1) Send a message to Rex Tillerson
Dear Secretary Tillerson,
The Paris Agreement is the backbone of international action to tackle the greatest challenge facing our civilization: climate change. Dropping out of the Paris Agreement would be immoral, economically counterproductive and politically foolish. The Paris Agreement isn't perfect, but it's a path forward. Climate change affects the poor, communities of color, and Indigenous people first and worst. Mr. Tillerson, please stand up for action -- withdrawing from the Paris Agreement would be a crime against the future of our planet and against the world’s most vulnerable people.
2) Sign the 350.org petition which will be delivered to the White House and press TODAY.
3) Call the White House to let Trump know that dropping out of the Paris Agreement is a historic mistake!
4) Call Governor Hickenlooper - (303) 866-2885 - and ask him to stand with New York City and declare the state of Colorado’s commitment to the Paris Agreement, regardless of President Trump's decision.
5) Sign Organizing For Action's Petition
6) Sign Up to Host an OFF Fossil Fuels Action Event through the Food & Water Action Fund: We are at a critical moment. As the fossil fuel industry poisons the planet, the Trump administration is emboldening climate deniers and attacking our environment, our communities and our democracy. Now, more than ever, we need to work locally and build a powerful movement to win from the ground up. This is a moment for us to come together and support each other's local events in order to build a network of communities fighting for a renewable future.
If Trump quits the Paris climate accord, he will lead the U.S. into the wilderness - Washington Post
World Awaits Trump Decision on U.S. Future in Paris Accord - NY Times
Trump Expected to Withdraw from Paris Climate Agreement – CNN
Tillerson: Vatican Urged U.S. to Keep Paris Deal - US News and World Report
The Paris Climate Accord – NY Times
Trump Expected to Pull U.S. from Paris Climate Accord – NY Times
Here’s What Happens if Trump Leaves the Paris Climate Agreement - NBC
New York mayor: City will uphold Paris climate agreement if Trump doesn't - The Hill
With thanks to 350.org